Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Today I am in Georgia doing a little book promoting and visiting my son who is working hard on an internship. One thing I know for sure...I love the south! It is so green and the people are so friendly. I am enjoying myself.

On my mind today is a comment a dear friend made. "People are going to be upset with you for stating in your book, ParentFix, that parents are responsible for their kids behaviors." She is right. A lot of people don't want to believe that statement. I have had a few angry parenting workshops where moms would have strangled me if they could. It would be a lot easier as a parent to blame your child's friends for their negative behavior. Or blame the dealer for your child's addiction to drugs. Or the teacher for the lack of motivation at school. But my belief, along with many professionals, is that as parents we need to be continually observant of our kid's behaviors. From their behaviors, we can determine their needs. When we can help our children meet those needs, the negative behavior disappears. I believe strongly in this because I have had such success with it with my own kids. I also have seen many other parents thrilled with watching this principle work.

The beauty of this principle is that it is never too late to start. So don't waste your time being angry at me, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment